Friday, June 13, 2008

On the Road Again ...


"... Just can't wait to get on the road again," sings Willie Nelson.

Daniel, my brother is out seeing just about every highway and/or freeway this summer before his up and coming Masters program starts at John Hopkins. We are all very proud and excited for their family.
He took a job with May's Trucking in the interum. He works very hard, driving every minute of his 11hr day that he can but insists it's the easiest job there is. He says the job title is really "Stearing Wheel Holder."
I assure you, there's more to it than that after my eye-witness account watching him back a 53 foot trailer into a narrow parking spot leaving minimal space on each side.
Let's see you try that.

So, I without packing a bag, jumped on the truck as it was passing through Evanston, WY. (Thanks to a lift from Dalynn after leaving Laura's baby shower in Provo, UT). Daniel and I had talked about a trip but it wasn't until the last minute that we thought it was possible. So being the adventurist that I am, or travel junking - one of the two, off we went.

Daniel graciously let me have the top bunk and of course I called "shotgun."






In Rosa Parks time she did to.
That's what makes us women so great. We know how to get a good seat.







Long days can sure make a person sleepy.





I read off and on; in between primping my nails.


I finished the Book of Mormon http://www.bookofmormononline.org/ , a few chapters in Daniel's beautifully bound copy of the Odyssey and a good portion of the Doctrine and Covenants.




So, where in the world did we go?





As I best remember

(which isn't saying much these days.)


Day 1: WY --> NE (Stayed in Grand Island, Boseman Truck Stop)
Day 2: NE --> IA --> IL --> (Chicago, I think...)
Day 3: IL --> IN --> OH --> (Cleveland)
Day 4: OH --> PA --> WV --> VA --> (Pulled off freeway)
Day 5: VA --> NC --> SC --> GA (Macon)
Day 6: GA --> TN --> KY --> MO --> (Rest Stop)
Day 7: MO --> NB --> (Grand Island, once again.)
Day 8: NB --> WY --> (Truck Stop outside Cheyenne)




Basically, we drove a lot.

I really loved Chattanooga, TN and Atlanta. Ohio was nice and I enjoyed the Virgina's. The St. Louis arch was a highlight although I barely raised my head from the pillow to see it.






Chattanooga

West Virginia
St. Louis Arch



The best part was having Daniel time. We listened to talk radio, talked politics, chatted about family, finance, his girls and life philosophies. I almost signed up to be trucker since I'm single, footlose and fancy free, as they say. What a thought that was, until I woke up.

10 comments:

Dan Thomas said...

Dear Tessha,

Sounds like you had a fun time and saw lots of country. That is one way of getting to see lots of country for cheap. That has been a really good thing for Daniel. It is a way of making some money.

Love,
Dad

Sandy said...

Wow!~ I'm jealous that you got to go see so many places. What a wonderful experience but I agree with you about the best part. Time with Daniel is priceless!! You're one lucky sister but then he's one lucky brother, too.

Unknown said...

That sounds like an amazing trip. Sign me up for one of those. Thanks for sharing.

Kaylene said...

That's so awesome! That's one of the things I wanna do in this life, well actually two, just taking off without a bag, and trucking cross country.

Dalynn said...

Hehe. We're glad we could get you on board.

Dalynn said...

Hehe. We're glad we could get you on board.

Will Thomas said...

Can Daniel come pick me up for a ride? I would like to see BC, Alaska, Montana, North Dakota..., well anywhere really.

My question to you Tessha is, How much does it cost to top off an 18-wheeler with deisel?

All and all, it sounds like a great adventure and makes my cubicle seem really small right now.

Jenni said...

Wow that sounded like a lot of fun~! Tessha I'm so excited to hear what you've been up to as well! Thank you for your card that you sent in the mail, by the way. Did you make that? it was so cute!

Chrystal said...

Tessha! I found your blog! :)

Sounds like you had a GREAT time on the road!! How fun!

Just Ellyn said...

Tessha! So good that I found your blog through Cristie's! Chin up girl! I know what you are going through. My mother just got diagonoised with the same thing. Maybe we can talk sometime. I'm still in Oregon and still single. Go figure!